It’s not unusual to feel lost at times when you are building your private practice. Whether you are just starting out, or you have hit a slump, “lost” will certainly not get you where you need to be.
There are 4 big ways that I’ve seen many private practitioners lose their footing (and face overwhelm) when they are growing their businesses. Let’s take them one at a time, and I’ll give you some ideas as to how to defuse these potential landmines…
#1 Getting “Lost” In What You (think you) Can’t Do
When you are feeling the tug of insecurity that comes with not enough clients, it’s easy to get caught up in a negative mindset that has you criticizing your potential solutions. You may come up with some (reasonable) ideas, and finish them off with a “but it probably won’t work”. You may even come up with a very detailed plan as to HOW it won’t work! Next thing you know, you’ll be massaging every “no” you’ve ever heard; each flyer that went unanswered; and all the people you reached out to who smiled at you and never called.
If you find yourself in this rut… Sound The Alarm! You’re headed down a slope that has no end to the damage it can do to your business and your self-esteem. It’s clearly time for a (self) intervention.
- Change your state: Anthony Robbins is a huge proponent of changing your state of being to change your mind. One way to change your state quickly is to do something physical and drastic. Scream… Clap your hands… Jump up and down. Do whatever it takes to jog your brain out of the toxic rut it’s in and save yourself
- Shift your focus: Once you’ve broken that negative state, immediately replace those thoughts with positive thoughts and affirmations. Instead of ruminating about what you think won’t work, start thinking about what will work. Open up your mind to new ideas and possibilities. Picture your success in these efforts. Visualize positive outcomes
- Take action: Now that those positive thoughts are flowing, DO SOMETHING! While you are in your positive, hopeful state, follow through and execute a plan of action that can help you achieve your goal.
Here’s your homework…
- Determine how many clients you’d like to add to your book within the next 30-60 days
- Identify 3-5 potential referrers who have access to and influence over your ideal clients
- Make a plan of how you will reach out to each of these people/places, to find out what you can do to help them serve your shared market
- Make a plan of 2-3 other methods you will use to get noticed by your target market in ways that will build your credibility and increase the level of trust they have in you
- Work your plan
Slaying these dragons one at a time will increase your chances for success. It’s easy to keep reading those self-help articles and books; it’s something very different to chunk them down and actually work the plan.
Remember: NOTHING WORKS Unless You Do!
Next time… we’ll face the SECOND path that may be getting you “lost” on your journey to building your private practice
<This series is just a sample of what you get when you work with me. Click here for more strategies about how to make more money and succeed in private practice: http://www.InfluentialInsidersCircle/bys Join us now: YOU ARE NOT ALONE!>
I really enjoy your e-mails and helpful tips on how to build up my client base. I have taken a few of your ideas and put them into action such as reaching out to referrers in the New Year and just touching base. I sent letters to at least 20 people wishing them the best for 2014 and included my cards. Now I find that I get stuck on the next step. I don’t want to keep bugging those same people so I’m trying to think of other marketing tools to use and seem to run out of ideas.
@Liz. It sounds like you need a marketing strategy that will guide you through what it takes to build relationships so you can turn strangers into “friends” and “friends” into customers. I’d love the chance to teach you the Book Yourself Solid(R) marketing system as part of my Influential Insider’s Circle mastermind group Liz. We just had our weekly group coaching call today, where we brainstorm about where we are stuck and what we need to do next when it comes to getting clients or organizing our businesses. You get lots of helpful self-study materials as well as an amazing group of people who will inspire you and support you on your way. On top of that, we’ll have time to work 1:1 together. It’s a great program for people who are really serious about being successful in private practice. We’d love you to join us: http://influentialtherapist.com/bys