The only thing keeping you from getting what you really want
is the “story” you have about why you can’t have it
This is undoubtedly the most helpful lesson I’ve ever learned from Tony Robbins. Let me share it with you…
What are your rationalizations for not following through with your plan to establish or build your Private Practice? What is holding you back? What is your “story”?
I can’t, because… or I would, but…
- “I don’t have the time” — How many times have you said this for so many things in your life? The truth is, we are all equal in this — We have all the time there is (The “tomorrow syndrome” is an offshoot of “not enough time”. “I’ll do it later/tomorrow” is one way to delay change. The problem is that all too often tomorrow never comes)
- “I don’t have the money” – You are not building a widget factory here. There is no inventory or need to employ others at first (or ever, for that matter). Find a space, get some low-cost or free business cards, make up a brochure, hit the pavement, and start making money!
- “It’ll take too long” – It will take as long as it takes. It takes even longer, the more time you wait! Cut it down into smaller tasks, smaller goals if you need to. just do something!
- “I don’t know what to do” – How can I say this nicely? Learn! We live in an era of instantaneous information. If you are reading this blog, you have access to a computer, which gives you access to unbelievable amounts of information. Talk to people who are already doing (well) what you want to do. Do whatever you have to do to learn!
- “I don’t know how to do it” — Will I shamelessly promote myself here? YES, ABSOLUTELY. When people hire a Private Practice Mentor, the ROI (return on investment) is unbelievable in our business. Let’s say you spend even $1000 on coaching and/or related items. You will get your money back over and over again as you build your practice. For most of us, the cost of a good coaching product or effective time with a good Private Practice Mentor is a total write-off, and can be paid off by seeing just a couple of clients for just a few sessions. After that… it is all gravy. Reach out for help. Invest in your dream.
Are you using your “story” to avoid the very thing that will FREE you? Take the time to identify the story you are telling yourself about why you are not doing what you say you want to do. Be honest with yourself.
Now, drop the story; stop rationalizing.
And let me know how I can help you.
Thank you for this Deb! It’s reassuring to know that when we follow through with what we want and do things in steps, we CAN achieve our dreams. I think it’s so important to think about what we can do in THIS moment to move us closer to those dreams. After all, this moment is all we’re promised. Why not make the most of it? Baby steps…
We all start out with baby steps Meredith. That’s what life is made up of. You really can achieve your dreams — plant your feet in the present and keep your eye on the future!